Rightcar (website redesign)

Clemenger BBDO, NZ Transport Agency, 2011-2013

This project involved the complete re-design of the RightCar.govt.nz website for the New Zealand Transport Agency, and later a series of targeted mobile versions.

This great website aims to help people discover how safe their own car is and educate them about choosing a safer car for the next time they buy.

We reviewed the existing site and identified a number of weaknesses in its information architecture and design. Our new designs included enhancements to increase the accuracy and speed by which users could narrow down to the kinds of vehicles they were really interested in.

IMG_2918

Highlights

  • We introduced a new make/model type-ahead search to guide users, reducing the need for endless drop down selects.
  • We introduced faceted searching, encouraging users to get to results sooner, and then narrow their search – in the process exposing them to more safety ratings, and – by default – the safer options within their result set.
  • The vehicle page was completely redesigned to more clearly communicate the key safety features of the feature car. On-going discussions and relationship built with NZTA allowed us to continue to optimise this over the subsequent two years as the business changed their approach to vehicle safety.
  • We added “my list” functionality that allowed the user to save and easily compare safety and fuel economy and emissions between cars.
  • We incorporated ‘safety features & tips’ pages, which incorporated content from NZTA’s ‘Crash Test Eggs’ campaign to communicate key vehicle safety concepts.
IMG_2920
Our new faceted search interface helped users get to results (and safety ratings) earlier.
Detail pages helped highlight safety features as well as safety test scores.
Detail pages helped highlight safety features as well as safety test scores.

My involvement

  • I held extensive workshops with key stakeholders from NZTA and their development provider to help us get the best understanding of the information surrounding safety ratings and the communication task facing us.
  • I developed persona, user journeys, and design direction documentation describing the kinds of people we wanted to help, outlining NZTA’s objectives for the site, and describing the sort of experience we hoped to create for users.
  • I documented our proposed website as wireframes, and created a clickable Axure prototype to demo my proposed search pattern.
  • I continued to work on the RightCar project, more recently providing wireframes for a limited mobile version of the site – in three-phased design approach.
We identified key problems with the existing website and designed to improve these and focus on enhancing key user objectives.
We identified key problems with the existing website and designed to improve these and focus on enhancing key user objectives.
I created a "provisional persona" (i.e. one not based on actual user research) to help turn our objectives into something memorable that could guide the design process.
I created a “provisional persona” (i.e. one not based on actual user research) to help turn our objectives into something memorable that could guide the design process.

Wireframes for the first "Plate Search" edition of the RightCar mobile site.
Wireframes for the first “Plate Search” edition of the RightCar mobile site.