Proximity Wellington, Toyota New Zealand, 2011
Toyota wanted to celebrate the Land Cruiser’s 60 year anniversary as a legendary kiwi icon, and launch a brand new Land Cruiser – the ‘FJ’.
We decided to take the FJ for an epic test drive – from the top to the bottom of New Zealand – proving its off-road credentials and taking kiwis along for a “legendary journey” through seldom-seen parts of our beautiful country.
As a central component of this campaign, we created a microsite that empowered our online audience to help Marc Ellis (our celebrity driver) with route suggestions and off-roading tips.
As my first digital advertising campaign this was certainly a wild ride, but it was awesome fun!
- I wireframed the central ‘hub’ microsite for the campaign.
- I designed and documented the distribution and flow of content across the multiple social media channels used throughout the campaign.
- When it all went live, I was responsible for the hands-on management of these online channels.
- I clocked 19+ hour days for the duration of the 19 day campaign, often staying up till 2 or 3 in the morning working with the off-road crew to make sure that all content was loaded for the next morning’s update.
The campaign was wonderfully popular. People liked to really explore Marc’s journey on the ‘hub’ website, and time-on-site was almost 10 minutes on average. By the end of the campaign 5,121 people had helped Marc Ellis with advice and challenges for his journey.
We found Facebook was where we really interacted the most with FJ fans. We earned over 9,000 fans – and this was Toyota’s first foray into social media! On our most popular day we had 8,568 engaged users on Facebook.
Awesome campaign moments
- The impromptu convoy of over 100 Land Cruisers that joined Marc to drive off-road to Dunedin.
- Convincing Marc to detour to go and buy a Swandri and hat from Haddads Menswear in Otorohanga because a Facebook fan had suggested it.
- Travelling to Invercargill for the finale, to see Marc and rest of the FJ Top To Bottom crew finally make it home – very bedraggled and dirty.
We won 10 awards for our work on this project, including 2 AXIS Golds and a Bronze Lion at Cannes.
2012 AXIS Awards
- Gold – Digital & Interactive: Social
- Gold – PR/Experiential
- Silver – Websites
- Bronze – Branded Content
- Bronze – Digital/Interactive Campaign
2011 John Caples Awards
- Silver – Launch Campaign
- Silver – Microsite
- Silver – Interactive Campaign
2011 RSVP Awards
- Silver – Customer Engagement
2012 Cannes Lions
- Bronze Lion – Social Media